How Kosher Certification with EarthKosher Works
Thank you for your interest in kosher certification. EarthKosher offers kosher certification services for small mom-and-pop’s all the way through to large international companies. The most fundamental and pragmatic principle to understand about kosher certification is the technical requirements and what kosher certification will cost. These factors are unique based on your company’s operations and how they fit within kosher certification standards.
In light of this, we encourage you to contact us and allow us to provide you with a customized quote for our services and what kosher certification will cost. Since every business has unique needs and setups, we pride ourselves in customizing our kosher certification quotes based on your specific needs. We also pride ourselves on always being available to explain what kosher certification will involve for your specific company.
Kosher Certification Assessment
The most critical information to help Earth Kosher to assess the services your company will require for kosher certification and the cost of certification for your company includes the following questions:
- Where is the exact location that your products (that you desire kosher certification for) are manufactured?
- Is this production facility dedicated to your products alone or do you wish other companies, manufacturing or co-packing, that are also there be able to obtain kosher certification through our certification agency?
- What are the ingredients in your products for which you seek kosher certification?
Using these 3 initial questions we can illustrate how kosher certification is unique to a company’s individual operations. Here are a few examples of how these questions impact the cost of kosher certification.
- All things being equal, a product manufactured in Chicago, IL (a major center of American Jewry) will be less costly to provide kosher certification to than a product manufactured somewhere in the Indonesian Archipelago. This is because the travel expenses and hours involved in providing kosher certification to a factory in Bali will be significantly greater for our agency than that of a Rabbi going from one point in Chicago to a nearby location to conduct an inspection.
- A production facility that is exclusively dedicated to the production of a stable Kosher product line is simpler, and hence, less costly to provide Kosher certification to than a co-packer. A co-packer is a location where they produce Kosher and non-Kosher products on the same equipment. Since the equipment needs to be koshered prior to any kosher food production being performed, using a location that has kosher and non-kosher foods being produced or packaged with the same equipment can be a more expensive route.
- Ingredients that can be easily obtained in Kosher and non-Kosher varieties (i.e. glycerin, vinegar, cheese, wine, oils, flavors, etc.) are deemed highly sensitive by kosher standards. The use of these ingredients will require more intensive kosher supervision by our kosher certification organization, than products that contain ingredients that are generally assumed to be Kosher or are almost always Kosher in practice.
These are a few examples of some of the complexities that we encounter during the kosher certification process. There are, at times, additional variables that will effect the requirements needed to provide kosher certification to a company or production facility. This is why EarthKosher offers customized kosher certification to companies. This way we can provide the best value to your operation and maintain a good relationship with you as a kosher certification agency you can trust!